Welcome to the Wollondilly Shire Online, home of the 'White Waratah'. This site is designed to help you find out more about the area, business, tourism, accommodation, history and things to do when visiting the Wollondilly.
With it's natural bushland beauty and thriving rural outlook, the Wollondilly spans 2,560 square kilometres, and is located less than an hour south of Sydney.
The business community, while diverse, is based on a solid foundation of market gardens, orchards, dairy and poultry, and the coal industry which provides the state government with royalties and the nation with its top grade coking coal for industry and export. The Wollondilly also supplies around 30% of vegetables consumed by Sydney-siders.
The area is strong in Aboriginal history with an equally interesting rural foundation built by the first white settlers and generations of migrants following. The Wollondilly is comprosed of 16 towns and villages including: Bargo, Appin, Belimbla Park, Brownlow Hill, Buxton, Camden Park, Cawdor, Couridjah, Douglas Park, Glenmore, Menangle, Mount Hunter, Mowbray Park, Nattai, Burragorang Valley, Oakdale, Picton, Pheasants Nest, Razorback, Tahmoor, Silverdale, The Oaks, Theresa Park, Thirlmere, Warragamba, Wilton, Yanderra and Yerranderie.
Popular Business and Community Listings.
Below are some of the more popular businesses or community groups listed in the Wollondilly Shire Online Business and Community Directory.
Some Fun Facts about the Wollondilly Shire
- Wollondilly Shire has a population of approximately 39,843.
- The largest town is Tahmoor with a population of approximately 4,664.
- Picton is one of the earliest European settlements dating back to 1795.
- The Wollondilly Shire is located approximately 75 kilometres south west of the Sydney CBD.
- Although it is a shire, there are no Hobbits in Wollondilly
- 727 hectares of the Wollondilly is open spaces and reserves.
- More than half of the Shire comprises of national parks and sensitive water catchment lands.
- A television advertisement for 'Minties' was filmed at Couridjah Railway Station
- The popular TV series 'Always Greener' was filmed in Thirlmere.